I promise to the following in regards to the critiques of my fellows:
- I will not take it personally if you do not like the work.
- I will be public and grateful for your support, perhaps with fudge, certainly with thank yous.
- I will consider consider carefully any suggestions you make.
- I will make the changes that work best for my work.
- I will offer (time and circumstances allowing) to repay critiques in full if asked.
In return I ask the following:
- Please critique the work not the author.
- If this is something you truly can not stomach (everyone has different taste in books) please polity tell me it isn't for you or that you don't have the time (if you really can't tell me you don't like it).
- Please be honest and blunt.
- Please do not share the story with someone else with out asking me first. Especially do not post any of it online, submit it to any publisher, etc etc etc with out my permission. (Should it go with out saying, probably. In the case of the 1 out of 100 person who doesn't see a problem with this I say it anyways).
The Critters group has a good guide on critiquing located here.
Good beta readers are a godsend and those of my friends who have offered to help should be nominated for sainthood. May their names grace the dedication/ acknowledgments of every book I publish. Thank you!