- If you are the one being critiques don't speak unless there is a direct and specific question asked of you. Don't defend or justify your work.
- As the critiquer start with something positive. If you can not find anything positive you probably should critique.
- Don't be personal in your critique.
- Don't say how you would rewrite it. No "you shoulds."
- Find a middle ground between nit picking grammar and word choice and painting in broad strokes. "I liked it," not helpful. "I liked X because of Y," is much more informative.
Tuesday, May 8, 2012
I've been looking for a good writers groups for a while now. This week, in the midst of all my other chaos, I am going to check out a local group to see if we'd make a good fit. Every group has it's own rules but here are some of the rules I follow for critiques: